The Star West Commitment To Indigenous Relations
Key Elements to our policy includes:
Star West Petroleum is committed to the principles of respect, honest, trust and integrity in our partnerships with Indigenous Peoples along with the respect of their history, culture and diversity. This includes an open dialogue that ensures transparency and best business practices on all social and economic engagements.
Commitment To Environmental Best Practices in all areas and an understanding of the traditional and cultural impacts when working within Indigenous Territories.
Engaging and interacting with Indigenous People through training and development. Working with the local communities to understand the needs of the community and their government.
Building trust through respectful dialogue and communications.
To foster long term partnerships and relationships that encourage growth and prosperity for current and future generations.
Trent Bilodeau: Business Development-Indigenous Relations Manager
Star West Petroleum staff continue to listen, grow and cultivate our relationships with Indigenous People and their Communities. Our Indigenous Relations Manager, Trent is on staff to support and foster these partnerships. email@example.com.
We partner with our Indigenous communities who are focused on leveraging traditional First Nations territorial rights & title through developing, partnering/owning and managing sustainable and profitable business ventures in the BC’s forestry, mining, oil & gas, transportation, construction, and agriculture sectors.
Star West Petroleum has a partnership agreement with Xatśūll Development Corporation, of the Xatśūll First Nation, based in the beautiful and “resource rich” Cariboo region of British Columbia,
Star West Petroleum also has a partnership with the Tk’emlúps te Secwe̓pemc Gas Station on Pow Wow Trail in Kamloops BC as an Authorized Distributor of Phillips 66 Lubricants.
Corporate Responsibilities Regarding Indigenous Economic Development
Partnering with Nation Member-Owned Small Businesses
Employing First Nation and Community Members
Supporting BC’s Indigenous communities goes beyond revenue sharing agreements. It’s our desire to employ First Nation support staff wherever possible.
We are also interested in supporting employment initiatives that encourage First Nation interest and awareness in various oil and gas industry professions within in BC.
Star West would continue our history of participating in Job Fairs and Work Experience Programs for youth, and invite youngsters to ride-alongs and other opportunities.
Recognition and Acknowledgment of Indigenous Ancestral Lands
Star West Petroleum and its staff, in recognition and respect of historical and cultural ties to their ancestral lands, formally acknowledge that we live and work on the Unceded Territories of:
- The Kwikwetlem kʷikʷəƛ̓əm First Nation (Coquitlam)
- Lheidli T’Enneh Band (Prince George)
- Simpcw First Nation, (Valemount)
- The Traditional territory of the Quw’utsun (Cowichan) Tribes (Duncan)
In addition, we recognize, acknowledge and honour the traditional and unceded territories of all First Nations, including the following First Nations with whom we work:
- The Seven First Nations in northwest British Columbia: Haida, Tsimshian, Nisga’a, Haisla, Gitxsan, Wet’suwet’en, and Tahltan.
- The Interior Territories of Lhtako Dene Nation (Quesnel), Xatśūll First Nation and T’exelcemc (Williams Lake), Tsq’escenemc territory (100 Mile House), and Nlak’pamux Nation (Ashcroft).
- The Tk’emlups te Secwepemc territory that is situated in the southern interior of British Columbia (Kamloops) within the unceded traditional lands of the Secwepemc Nation.
- The Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations (Vancouver), as well as Kwantlen, Katzie, Semiahmoo, and Tsawwassen First Nations. (Surrey, Langley, Delta)
We continue to enhance these relationships, pursue new opportunities and participate at a number of levels including First Nation Conferences, Workshops and in the Community Engagement process.
We are dedicated to advocating and holding space for others with the privileges we inherited.
With respect and on behalf of Star West Petroleum,
President Relations Manager